Topped with a creamy Béchamel sauce and a fried egg, this French ham and cheese sandwich is simple decadence at its best.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
• 2 tbsp butter
• 1 shallot, minced
• 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
• 1 cup homogenized milk
• Pinch each salt, pepper and ground nutmeg
• 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
• 4 tsp Dijon mustard
• 8 slices egg bread, about 1/2-inch thick
• 8 slices Black Forest ham
• 8 slices Gruyère cheese, divided
• 1/4 cup butter, divided
• 4 NestFresh Eggs
• Pinch each salt and pepper
• 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Béchamel Sauce: Melt butter over medium heat; cook shallot for about 2 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle flour over top. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese; set aside.
2. Sandwich: Spread mustard over 4 slices of bread; top each slice with 2 slices ham and 1 slice Gruyère cheese. Cap with remaining bread. Spread half of the butter over outside of sandwiches.
3. Heat large skillet over medium heat; cook sandwiches, in batches, for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
4. Transfer sandwiches to foil-lined baking sheet. Top each with Béchamel Sauce and remaining Gruyère cheese slices. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, melt remaining butter in nonstick skillet set over medium heat; crack eggs into skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until egg whites are just set for sunny-side up or cook until desired doneness. Top each sandwich with fried egg; sprinkle with parsley.
If you are feeling very French, substitute tarragon for parsley.