The Non-GMO Project Verified seal indicates that the product bearing it has been verified by the Non-GMO Project. The verification process ensures that the product has been produced according to consensus-based best practices for GMO avoidance.
Non-GMO Project Verified products have met the following criteria:
1. Ongoing testing of all at-risk ingredients. Any ingredient grown commercially in GMO form must be tested prior to use in a Non-GMO Project Verified product.
2. Testing below the Action Threshold of 0.9%. This is in alignment with laws in the European Union, where any product containing more than 0.9% GMO must be labeled. Absence of all GMOs is the target for all Non-GMO Project Standard compliant products.
3. Continuous improvement practices toward achieving this goal must be part of the participant’s quality management systems.
4. Rigorous traceability and segregation practices to ensure ingredient integrity through to the finished product.
5. An annual audit and onsite inspections for high-risk products.