Our latest recipe combines some of the best flavors of fall like butternut squash and kale. Top it all with an egg and you’ve got a well-rounded, healthy meal that is as nourishing as it is delicious.
Harvest Quinoa Bowls with Poached Eggs
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
• 2 tbsp canola oil
• 2 cups diced butternut squash
• 2 shallots, chopped
• 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tsp salt, divided
• 1/2 tsp pepper, divided
• 2 cups shredded kale leaves (stems removed)
• 1/2 cup reduced-sodium vegetable broth
• 2 cups cooked quinoa
• 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
• 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• 2 tbsp white vinegar
• 4 cold NestFresh Eggs
• 1/3 cup finely crumbled goat cheese
• 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
1. Heat oil in large skillet set over medium-high heat; cook squash, shallots, thyme, garlic, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 8 minutes or until squash starts to soften.
2. Stir in kale; cook for about 1 minute or until starting to wilt. Stir in broth; bring to boil. Stir in quinoa; cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until squash is tender and quinoa is heated through. Stir in parsley, basil and lemon juice.
3. Meanwhile, add vinegar to shallow saucepan of simmering water. Crack one egg into small bowl. Slip eggs, one at a time, into water; cook for about 3 minutes for soft-poached eggs or until desired doneness. Remove with slotted spoon onto paper towel–lined plate.
4. Divide squash mixture among 4 bowls. Top each with poached egg; season with remaining salt and pepper. Sprinkle goat cheese and pumpkin seeds over top.
• Substitute crumbled feta cheese for goat cheese if desired.
• Alternatively, top with fried eggs instead of poached eggs.