The combination of a scrambled NestFresh Egg, pulled pork and, of course, Tapatio make this sandwich a hearty, filling meal with the right amount of spice.
Pulled Pork Torta with a Folded Egg, Queso Fresco and Tapatio
Preparation Time: 4 hours
Servings Per Recipe: 4-5
• 2 lbs pork butt or shoulder, trimmed.
• 1 Tsp. chili powder
• 1 Tsp. salt
• 1 Tsp. cumin
• 1 Tsp. paprika
• ½ Tsp. pepper
• 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
• 1 large onion, quartered
• 3 cloves garlic, halved
• 1/3 cup chicken stock
• 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
• Juice of 1 lime
• 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
• 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
• Vegetable oil
• 2 NestFresh Eggs
• ½ Tbsp. butter
• 1-2 round Pan Telera Rolls (Torta Rolls)
• 1 avocado, halved
• Queso Fresco or Queso Oaxaca
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Blend chili powder, salt, cumin, paprika and pepper in a small bowl. On a large plate, coat pork butt or shoulder with blended seasonings until evenly coated.
3. In a large pan, heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil on medium high. Once hot, sear each side of pork until brown.
4. Meanwhile, lay onions and garlic down evenly in a baking dish. Place pork on top of onions.
5. In another bowl, whisk together chicken stock, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and soy sauce. Pour over pork, cover and place in oven for 3.5 hours.
6. Remove pork from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Place pork on a cutting board and shred with two forks. Reserve remaining juice for dipping.
7. Scramble 2 eggs in a small saute pan, and keep scrambling smooth like you would an omelet. Let cook until almost done. Gently Fold in half with a rubber spatula, then fold a second time.
8. Assemble your torta by smashing ½ an avocado on each piece of bread. Layer and assemble bottom half with shredded pork, folded egg, queso fresco and Tapatio. Top with remaining piece of bread and serve with spiced pork drippings.