So many of us turn into pumpkin addicts this time of year, infusing everything from our coffees to our soups to our desserts with this most popular fall flavor. For those that can’t get enough pumpkin, we’re sharing our Pumpkin Pie Bar recipe, which combines two fall classics. With a buttery shortbread crust, these bars have the rich filling of pumpkin pie and the nutty crunch of pecan pie all in one.
Pumpkin Pecan Pie Bars
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 65 minutes (+ 2 hours 10 minutes chilling time)
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin purée
1 cup 35% heavy cream
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 NestFresh Eggs
1 NestFresh Egg yolk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
1. Shortbread Crust: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 13- x 9-inch baking pan with enough parchment paper to overhang edges; set aside.
2. Mix flour with salt; set aside. Using electric mixer, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy; stir in flour mixture in 2 additions. Press into bottom of prepared pan; prick all over with fork. Freeze for 10 minutes.
3. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until very pale golden around edges and just set. Let cool slightly.
4. Filling: Meanwhile, whisk together pumpkin purée, cream, brown sugar, eggs, egg yolk, flour, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt until well blended. Pour over crust in baking pan.
5. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with pecans; bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until filling is set around edges but center still jiggles slightly. Transfer to rack; let cool completely. Refrigerate for about 2 hours or until chilled and set. Using parchment paper handles, transfer to cutting board. Cut into 16 bars.
• Serve each bar with a dollop of whipped cream if desired.
• For an adult version, add 2 tbsp bourbon or whiskey to filling.