You asked. We answered. Here’s what’s been weighing on your minds this month!
Q: What flavor profiles best compliment the flavor of fresh eggs?
A: Because eggs are such a versatile (and lovely!) ingredient to cook with, the flavors you incorporate into each recipe depend completely on your taste preferences, as well as the other ingredients found in your dish.
Herbs said to match the rich flavor of eggs include basil, chervil, chili powder, chives, curry, cumin powder, dill, fennel marjoram, paprika, parsley, tarragon and thyme.
Want to see a few of these spices in action? Give this year’s winning Egg-cellent Baking Contest recipe for Curried Crab Quiche Lorraine a try! Congrats to Nancy H. from Las Vegas for her truly delicious creation!
Curried Crab Quiche Lorraine
• 1 uncooked pie crust shell (8 or 9 inch)
• ½ cup mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoon flour
• 3 beaten NestFresh Cage Free eggs
• ½ cup milk
• ½ teaspoon kosher salt
• ¼ teaspoon lemon pepper
• 2 teaspoons curry powder
• 1cup lump crab, flaked
• 3 teaspoons minced parsley, reserve 1 teaspoon
• 1/3 cup chopped green scallions
• 8 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In medium bowl, beat mayonnaise, flour, eggs, milk, kosher salt, lemon pepper, curry powder until well blended.
3. Stir in crabmeat, parsley, scallions and cheese.
4. Pour mixture into pie crust shell.
5. Sprinkle with reserved parsley.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes until set.
7. Let rest 10 minutes before cutting.