- 12 3/4-inch slices day-old French bread (from long, thin loaf)
- 1 bundle (10 oz.) fresh asparagus cuts, cooked and drained
- 2 cups skim or low-fat (1%) milk
- 6 NestFresh Eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon instant minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- ground red pepper or paprika, optional
Arrange 6 bread slices on bottom of lightly greased 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish. Evenly spoon asparagus over bread. Top with remaining bread slices. In medium bowl, beat together remaining ingredients except pepper until well blended. Pour evenly over bread. Cover. Refrigerate several hours or overnight. Uncover. Bake in preheated 350 F. oven until golden brown, puffed and knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Lightly sprinkle with pepper, if desired.
Nutrition Information per servings: Calories 108, Protein 6g, Carbohydrates 14g, Saturated Fat 1g, Total Fat 3g, Cholesterol 98mg, Sodium 238mg,
Notes: While Europeans disagree over whether green or white asparagus is preferable, the green variety is the most attractive in this make-ahead entree.