Everyone’s favorite sandwich is transformed into a hearty yet elegant salad, adorned with crisp bacon, grilled baguette and a soft-set poached NestFresh Egg.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
• 3 tbsp lemon juice
• 2 tbsp finely chopped shallot
• 2 tsp honey
• 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
• 1 small clove garlic, minced
• 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1/2 baguette, cut into 3/4-inch thick slices
• 2 Romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
• 2 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
• 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
• 2 tsp white vinegar
• 4 NestFresh Pasture Raised Eggs
• 1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
1. Dressing: Stir together lemon juice, shallot, honey, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Slowly pour in oil, while whisking constantly. Set aside.
2. Salad: Brush oil over both sides of each slice of bread. Grill over medium-high heat, turning once, for 5 to 6 minutes or until lightly marked and toasted. Let cool slightly. Cut each slice into bite-size pieces. Toss with lettuce, tomatoes and bacon; pour in enough dressing to coat well. Divide evenly among four plates.
3. Meanwhile, fill large, straight-sided skillet with water; bring to simmer. Stir in vinegar. Crack each egg into small ramekin. Stir water to create swirling motion; slowly slide each egg into center of swirling water. Cook eggs, in barely simmering water, for 3 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer eggs to paper towel. Place 1 egg on each salad. Sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately.
• Leftover dressing can be stored, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
• For a firmer yolk, poach eggs for 5 minutes.