Sandwiches are a great meal for any time of day. Breakfast can start with bacon egg and cheese on a bagel (Bagel Sandwich!), while lunch can be a burger – try it topped with a fried egg (Hamburger Sandwich!) with dinner being a classic Bacon Lettuce and Tomato and Egg with Mayo on Sourdough! (BELT Sandwich!).
We love sandwiches because they are an easy way to make a filling meal that includes whole grains, healthy protein, and nutritious veggies. For example, some people think of the fried egg sandwich as being unhealthy, but it’s actually packed with protein. Egg yolks are a great source of chromium, which can help to stabilize blood sugar levels, thus preventing between meal hunger pangs that result in snacking. Eggs also contain choline – an important nutrient people don’t get enough of. Choline is used to build cell membranes and has a role in producing signaling molecules in the brain. Paired with vitamin D and plenty of Omega-3’s, the fried egg sandwich just might become your new go-to breakfast!
A fun twist on the traditional fried egg sandwich is an Open Faced Egg and Avocado Sandwich.
Open Faced Egg & Avocado Sandwich
• 1 slice of bread, fresher the better
• 1/4 ripe avocado
• 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
• salt & pepper, to taste
• 1 egg
• 1/2 heirloom tomato, sliced
1. Pre-heat a non-stick pan over medium heat.
2. In a small bowl, mash together the avocado, lemon juice and a dash of salt and pepper until well mixed.
3. Toast bread to personal liking.
4. While bread is toasting, crack an egg in the warmed pan and cook until your egg reaches over easy. You want the yolk to have a hint of crust on the outside but gooey insides. Don’t forget to salt & pepper your egg. Remove egg from heat once it reaches your preferred level of doneness.
5. Slice heirloom tomato into thin slices.
6. Build your open-faced sandwich by spreading avocado spread on toast, followed by tomatoes, then egg. Add salt and pepper. Enjoy!