For holidays that are all about food, like Thanksgiving Day, it can be difficult for those who adhere to the keto diet to remain on track. This delicious and healthy recipe for Keto Turkey Cranberry Meatballs with Fresh Cranberry Mustard Relish comes to the rescue for overcoming meal time temptations.
The recipe incorporates many traditional Thanksgiving flavors, so these meatballs serve beautifully as the centerpiece of a satisfying holiday meal. Consider a low-carb stuffing made with keto bread or roasted cauliflower as a side, and you’re good to go.
Be sure to use responsibly sourced humane eggs for maximum flavor.
Turkey Cranberry Meatballs with Fresh Cranberry Mustard Relish
Preparation time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 15 minutes Yield: 18-20 meatballs (4-5 servings)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1-2 shallots, finely chopped (~ 3/4 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped (~ 3/4 cup)
- 3-4 Tbsp fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped (~1 bunch)
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 NestFresh Pasture Raised Eggs
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 cup coarsely ground almond meal or keto-friendly bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Fresh cranberry mustard relish (see recipe below)
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large cast iron or oven-proof skillet, heat half the oil over medium heat. Add shallots, celery, and fresh sage. Cook while stirring until shallot is translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine ground turkey, eggs, and cranberries. Season with salt and pepper. Blend in Dijon, dried sage, and almond meal or bread crumbs as a binder. Mix well.
4. Form turkey mixture into 18 to 20 golf ball-sized meatballs. (If meat won’t hold together to form balls, add a bit more of the binder). Heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and brown (in batches, if necessary).
5. Once the meatballs are browned evenly on all sides, return to skillet along with cooked fresh seasonings. Pour in broth. Transfer skillet to preheated oven. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the largest meatball reads 165 degrees F, about 12-15 minutes. Serve with fresh cranberry mustard relish.
Fresh Cranberry Mustard Relish
- 1 (12 oz.) package fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp whole grain mustard
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine cranberries with sugar. Cook until sugar dissolves. Cover and continue cooking until cranberries pop out of their skins and begin to break down, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Once cool, stir in Dijon mustard and mix thoroughly. Serve with turkey meatballs.
Eggs and the Keto Diet
One of the best things about the ketogenic diet is that eggs are a fundamental part of it. Loaded with nutrients, good fats, and proteins, eggs are a complete food. Not only that, they are one of the most versatile natural food products available.
For the best in humane, sustainable eggs contact us at NestFresh Eggs. We sell Non-GMO, USDA Organic, Certified Cage Free, Heirloom, and Pasture Raised local eggs. Believing that happy chickens cultivate happy humans, we work with family farms across the United States to bring you the natural farm fresh taste you love.